I wanted to keep my text messaging question in a separate post in hopes that some people comment and it doesn't get mixed up with my other crap.
So, how was your weekend? Mine was busy. Working the late shift at the retail job and squeezing two trips to SD for my tutoring gig. Tonight I got to see my nieces and they are just sooooooooooooo amazing.
I was reading my Intro post on this blog and I realized I wrote that I currently have no life adventure. I was so wrong about that! I am in the middle of a life adventure. What's cool about it is that I have NO IDEA where this adventure is taking me. What I do know is that if you are a reader of this blog, you are along for the ride! I am on a mission to follow my dreams and get to know myself again. I am very lucky to have this opportunity.
Speaking of opportunities, a career opportunity presented itself to me this weekend. I don't want to reveal what it is just yet because it has not been set in stone. Let's just say that if you were to ask me a year ago about what type of job I was going to be doing now, I would never have said this. I also would have never expected to no longer be a full time teacher or working in retail in any capacity.
Anyway...I've had one of the songs from the rotation that plays at the retail store on my brain all freaking day today. What's worse is that it's the song I hate the most. I had never heard it before. I don't know where they get their holiday music, but I think they need to rethink it for next year. I will not miss these songs after the holiday is over!
I was tutoring some clients today whom I have worked with for 2 years now. When I first started working for this family, it was very challenging. The children did not want to listen to me at all! I would sit there and think, "Man, I need to get out of this!" One of the girls has called me a bitch, they've scribbled on their work or made holes in the paper so they wouldn't have to do it (which didn't work with me by the way) and all kinds of things that made my life difficult for a time. This family has been very good to me...they pay me well, they never cancel, they are flexible when I need to change the schedule, etc. They have been very supportive regarding my recent dramas and give me words of encouragement every time I see them. I complain a lot about the drive, but I'm realizing that I am not just doing it for the paycheck. I genuinely care about these people. I would miss them tons if I were to stop that job. Well, today both girls were fabulous listeners and we had the best time. When we went back to the Living Room the oldest tells her mom that today's lesson was the best time EVER. It was cute. It's also rewarding for me to see how much progress we have made. This proves what I'm always preaching about consistency and boundaries with children. It's exhausting to repeat yourself over and over when establishing boundaries and being consistent with expectations. But it PAYS OFF!!!!! The children are respectful (most of the time) to me and they know what I expect of them. They love to learn what I come to teach them and they do better in school. I don't think one can put a price on that...well, ok just a little bit. ;-) As I was thinking about this today I have to say it really made me want to be a Mom. Maybe I will get that opportunity someday.
xoxo,
Cindie
Was driving to work this AM and Skater Boy came on and I thought of you and smiled. I really identify with all your ramblings about the retail thing...I was working retail this time last year as a second job! UGH glad to be out of it..people are NUTS! Stuffing screamers down the toilets..REALLY?
ReplyDeleteLOL...Soph!
ReplyDelete